John Homer, Director
ACU Box 29304
Abilene, Texas 79699-9353
Mabee Business Building, Room 241
Brian Burton, Associate Professor
Orneita Burton, Professor
C. Brad Crisp, Associate Professor
John Homer, Professor
James Prather, Assistant Professor
S. Arisosa Randriansolo, Assistant Professor
Brent Reeves, Associate Professor
Karen St. John, Instructor
Rich Tanner, Clinical Instructor
Rapid advances in information technology and computing have led to dramatic changes in society and in the global economy. Computing and technology fields claim some of the highest projected job growth in the United States, with software engineers, database and network administrators, game designers, and systems analysts among the top-rated careers.
The School of Information Technology and Computing (SITC) is the focal point at Abilene Christian University for education and career preparation in today’s fast-paced, high tech arena. We offer our students mentoring from highly-qualified Christian faculty, innovative curriculum and internship opportunities that create high job placement rates, and participation in research, real-world projects, and student organizations beginning their freshman year.
The SITC offers three Bachelor of Science programs:
- Computer Science is a well-established major that prepares students for careers related to scientific computing, programming or software applications, or for continued study in graduate programs. This major offers concentrations in Computing Theory, Game Development, and Software Engineering.
- Computer Science-Math with Teacher Certification is a cooperative major with the Departments of Mathematics and Teacher Education that prepares teachers to certify in computer science and math at the high school level.
- Digital Entertainment Technology is an interdisciplinary major that prepares students for careers in game design and development, modeling, and animation. This major offers concentrations in Cinematics and Game Development.
The Computing Theory concentration of the BS in Computer Science major is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) https://www.abet.org.
The SITC cooperates with other departments in the College of Business Administration to offer a Bachelor of Business Administration in Information Systems. This major offers a broad foundation for students interested in the strategic development and usage of information and technology in business. This major may be combined with optional concentrations in business or a minor in information technology. See additional information in the catalog section for the Department of Management Sciences .
The SITC also offers minors in Computer Science, Digital Entertainment Technology, and Information Technology.
The following policy applies to all students working toward a degree in the School of Information Technology and Computing:
- Repeating courses: No course offered by the SITC may be taken more than three times. A withdrawal or a grade on a transcript is considered an attempt.
Organization, Facilities and Resources
The School of Information Technology and Computing is an academic unit within ACU’s College of Business Administration. Students benefit from career development programs within the college while maintaining a primary focus on the computing and technology discipline. For those interested, students also gain access to resources to turn technology ideas into business ventures.
All classrooms and lecture halls are “smart” facilities, outfitted with Internet connections, video projectors, and other resources that facilitate multi-media instruction. Wireless hot spots are found throughout the academic facilities and students have access to virtual servers and some of the top applications software used in industry.
Student Organizations and Activities
The SITC sponsors student chapters of the Association for Computing Machinery Special Interest Group in Computer-Human Interaction (ACM SIGCHI) and the Association for Information Systems (AIS). We also have local Digital Entertainment Technology and Security clubs. Our students regularly participate in and win awards in campus activities such as Filmfest, SpringBoard Business Plan Competition, and the Undergraduate Research Festival. SITC also sponsors Wildcat Software, a student-run software company building software solutions for real clients.
Scholarships and Internships
Outstanding scholarship opportunities are available for students with strong academic credentials and who demonstrate promise for continued success in a technology field. Students with financial need are especially encouraged to apply. All scholarship inquiries should be directed to the School of Information Technology and Computing.
Student participation in internships is one of the most important aspects of the hiring decision of potential employers in the computer technology arena. Excellent internship opportunities are available for qualified students.
Study Abroad Expectations
All students are encouraged to participate in ACU’s Study Abroad program. Classes offered at Study Abroad sites vary depending on the site. Additional travel opportunities are available through the SITC or the College of Business Administration. Academic advisors can assist students in planning ahead for their Study Abroad experience and should be consulted during the freshman year.
Before being admitted to one of the programs offered by the School of Information Technology and Computing, a student must satisfy the requirements listed in the ACT/SAT Placement Information section of this catalog.
ProgramsBachelor of Science
- Computer Science, Computing Theory, BS (CS-CT)
- Computer Science, Game Development, BS (CS-GDP)
- Computer Science, Software Engineering, BS (CS-SE)
- Digital Entertainment Technology, Cinematic Concentration, BS (DET-CINE)
- Digital Entertainment Technology, Game Development Concentration, BS (DET-GD)
- High School Teacher Certification - Computer Science and Mathematics, BS (CSMT)
CoursesComputer ScienceDigital Entertainment TechnologyInformation TechnologyInformation, Technology, and Computing